- Chronic Illness
- Country Comparisons
- General Interest
- Health Disparities
- Health Promotion
- Healthcare Spending
- Individual Action Participation
- Integration of Care
Chronic Illness > General
Chronic Illness > Multiple Countries
Chronic Illness > Netherlands
- Working Toward Wellness: The Business by the World Economic Forum
This paper makes the business case for reducing threat of chronic diseases. The authors’ argue countries such as Brazil, China, Russia and India currently lose more than 20 million productive life-years annually to chronic disease.
Chronic Illness > Spain
- Evaluating Catalan Integrated Health Care Schemes by Gabriel Ferragut Ensenyat for Health Policy Monitor
Overview of the integrated health care delivery system implemented in Catalonia, Spain in the 1990s which has evolved as a main system of care for those with chronic conditions.
Chronic Illness > United States
- Chronic Care Model by CareSouth Carolina
A specific example of the team approach to care; highlight: if a patient is depressed due to their chronic condition, the patient is immediately referred to a mental health counselor.
- Chronic Care Model: an explanation by Improving Chronic Illness Care
An explanation of the Chronic Care Model, which summarizes the basic elements for improving care in health systems at the community, organization, practice and patient levels.
- Curing the System by National Coalition on Health Care
Report reflects on proposed changes to the United States health care system, profiles innovative approaches to managing chronic care based on the Chronic Care Model
- On the DRA Project: Insights and Implications for the Commission to End Health Care Disparities by Institute for Alternative Challenges
Presentation that outlines a list of recommendations from the Institute regarding the Disparity Reducing Advances Project (DRA)
- Alabama's Wellness Premium Discount Program by Elena Conis for Health Policy Monitor, Survey (12) 2008
Analysis of Alabama’s state employee health insurance plan that links premiums paid by employees to their participation in wellness programs. The plan offers a financial incentive for state employees to identify and manage their risk(s) of potentially costly chronic health conditions, either by self management or through a doctor's care.
- States Promote Wellness by Amy Winterfield for State Health Notes, Vol. 28, Issue 488, National Conference of State Legislatures, April 2, 2007
Brief overview of some states’ initiatives to promote wellness in the workplace and in schools.
- Improving the State of State Employees' Health: Alabama Acts by A. Wolke and E. Sandoe for State Health Notes, Vol. 29, Issue 525, National Conference of State Legislatures, October 14, 2008
Overview of Alabama’s Wellness Premium Discount Program that links health behavior to premium levels.
Country Comparisons > Multiple Countries
General Interest > European
General Interest > Multiple Countries
3FOUR50 is an online community of experts, activists and enthusiasts committed to raising awareness about healthy lifestyles and the global epidemic of chronic disease.
- Health Policy Monitor
A free online resource with half-yearly updates on health policy developments in 20 industrialized countries. Reports are produced by experts of the International Network Health Policy and Reform, a project initiated and sponsored by the Bertelsmann Stiftung (foundation) since 2002.
- International Network Health Policy and Reform
Established by Bertelsmann Stiftung, the International Network Health Policy and Reform gathered health policy experts from 20 countries to report on current health reform ideas, approaches to reform and their effects.
- Oxford Health Alliance
The Oxford Health Alliance is about preventing and reducing the global impact of chronic disease.
- Selected Health System Profiles from European Countries and Lessons for the U.S by National Public Radio
National Public Radio (NPR), a public radio system in the United States, multi-part series on selected European health systems from European countries and lesson for the U.S. Audio and text reports are available.
General Interest > Western Pacific
Health Disparities > United Kingdom
- Bromley By Bow Healthy Living Centre
The Bromley by Bow Centre (East London) works to support families, young people and adults of all ages to learn new skills, improve their health and wellbeing.
- Progress Towards Health Inequalities Targets by Adam Oliver for Health Policy Monitor
This report provides an update on progress towards meeting health inequality targets in the UK related to infant mortality and life expectancy.
Health Promotion > Australia
Health Promotion > European
Health Promotion > General
Health Promotion > Multiple Countries
- Treattobacco.net Treatobacco.net is run by the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT) in partnership with the International Union Against Cancer (UICC) and the InterAmerican Heart Foundation (IAHF).
Treatobacco.net presents evidence-based information about the treatment of tobacco dependence, under five headings: efficacy; safety; demographics and health effects; health economics; and policy.
- Pan American Health Organization
PAHO website contains resources on Health Promotion that provide the general population with the means for maintaining and improving health.
Health Promotion > New Zealand
- Intersectoral Community Action for Health by the Centre for Health Services reasearch and Policy (CHSRP) for Health Policy Monitor
Evaluation of the 2001 the Ministry of Health's project to improve the health status of deprived populations in the Mâori Pacific Region.
Health Promotion > United Kingdom
Health Promotion > United States
Healthcare Spending > Asia
- Cancer Facts and Figures by American Cancer Society
This site provides data on cancer occurrence, including the number of deaths, cases, and how long people survive after diagnosis, as well as behaviors that influence the risk of developing cancer and the use of screening tests.
- Content Section on Health Promotion by Kaiser Permanente Institute for Health Promotion
Website outlines the broad-based public health approach needed to address the obesity crisis.
Healthcare Spending > China
Healthcare Spending > Multiple Countries
Healthcare Spending > United States
- The Chinese Health System at a Crossroads by Winnie Yip; William Hslao
This paper critically examines various options for the Chinese healthcare system and argues that if China does not address the root cause of the problem, rapidly escalating prices and wasteful consumption, the additional funds will be captured as higher income for providers and profit.
Individual Active Participation > Denmark
Individual Active Participation > Japan
- Containing Health Care Costs in Japan by Naoki Ikegami and John Creighton Campbell
This link provides an overview of the book, which discusses efforts to contain health care costs in Japan
- Patient Disclosure Rights in Japan’s Healthcare System by Ames Gross and Gayatri Koowal
This paper provides a glimpse into Japan's medical information patient disclosure practices, the problems arising from the lack of disclosure and efforts to start changing the situation.
- Interview with Naoki Ikegami by Frontline, Public Broadcasting System (US) Frontline
This expert in the Japanese Healthcare system provides insight into the efficiencies of the Japanese healthcare system.
Individual Active Participation > Netherlands
- Mandatory Deductible in Basic Health Insurance by Hans Maarse for Health Policy Monitor
A key element of the Netherlands new basic health insurance (2006) was a no-claim arrangement (NCA); abolished after two years.
- User-Based Public Performance Information by Peter P. Groenewegen for Health Policy Monitor
Paper argues that for a system of managed competition to work, transparent information on the performance of health plans and service providers is necessary; information based on user evaluations of their health plan and services.
Individual Active Participation > United Kingdom
Individual Active Participation > United States
- Healthwise Handbook by Healthwise
Healthwise®, Inc is a nonprofit organization which seeks to help people make better, more informed health decisions. The book provides information therapy resources.
- Information Therapy: Prescribed Information as a Reimbursable Medical Service by Don W. Kemper and Molly Mettler
This book makes a case for payer reimbursement for provision of Information Therapy.
- The Ix Evidence Base :Using Information Therapy to Cross the Quality Chasm by Bianca R. Gwinn and Joshua Seidman
Discussion of how information therapy can be used to respond to Institute of Medicine call for improved healthcare provision in the United States
Integration of Care > Global
Workforce > France
- New Nursing Regulation in France by Michel Naiditch for Health Policy Monitor
Discussion of the 2007 French agreement between the national sickness fund and the private nurses unions to enhance private nurses role and in clinical and technical care for dependent elderly, manage the number of nurses, and reward them for following clinical guidelines when treating elderly with chronic conditions.
Workforce > Global
- Addressing the Health Workforce Crisis: Towards a common approach by Mario R. Dal Poz, et. al
This paper provides a technical framework intended to raise awareness among donors and multi-sector organizations to guide planning and strategy development at the country level.
- Human resources for Health in Europe> by Carl-Ardy Dubois, et al
The book analyses how the current regulatory processes and practices to relate health professions may facilitate or inhibit the development of effective responses to health care challenges in Europe.
- Global Health Workforce Alliance
The Alliance’s advocates for health workers to be trained, supported and retained in sufficient numbers to ensure accelerated progress towards the health goals.
Workforce > New Zealand
- A Career Framework for the Health Workforce in New Zealand by New Zealand Ministry of Health
Describes Career Framework structure within the health workforce with the aim of supporting individuals and organizations in the development of careers and career pathways.
- A Health Workforce Career Framework by Toni Ashton et al. for Health Policy Monitor
Discusses benefits of a Career Framework for both clinical and non-clinical workforces; identifies career pathways for different occupations while recognizing overlapping scopes of practice and competencies.
- Health workforce development: an overview by New Zealand Ministry of Health
Outlines the challenges facing New Zealand's workforce in the next decade.
Workforce > United States
- Shared Governance by Hunterdon Healthcare
Example of Shared Governance; the Hunterdon Nursing Division has used the Shared Governance practice since 1989.